Login

Monasteries, churches and mosques


MONASTERY (CONVENT) VIRGIN RATAC

The remains of the Benedictine monastery of the Virgin Ratačke of the XI century. It is located on the coast at the end of the cape Ratac, between Bar and Sutomore.

It was constistuted of three churches, several buildings protected by defensive walls and towers. Since 1443. it was under Venetian rule, and in 1571 the Turks burned and destroyed it.
 

MONASTERY STARCEVO

On an island Starčevo on Skadar Lake. It dates from the time Đurđa Balšića. It was founded by Father Makarije in 1377, who lived as a hermit on the island.

The complex of the monastery consists of the church of Assumption, the dormitory building, support buildings and boundary wall with a gate and a few terraces. The monastery was a copying center. Many manuscripts were copied there, and many books were covered and decorated. This monastery is the tomb of printer Bozidar Vukovic Podgoričanin. With the reconstruction of the dormitory and the creation of conditions for life, Starčevo is now inhabited and active monastery on the lake.
 

MONASTERY MORACNIK

Is situated on the island in Lake Skadar.
It was first mentioned in 1417, in the Charter of Balsa III. The monastery complex was composed of the church dedicated to St.. Virgin, a building for accommodation, dining and high tower with four floors, surrounded by a stone wall with a monumental gate.


 







MONASTERY BEŠKA


It is located in the central eastern part of the island in Lake Skadar.
The monastery consists of two churches, bigger one dedicated to St. Đorđe (14 c.) and smaller one dedicated to St. Virgin (1440). The monastery was founded by Đurđa II Stanimirovic - Balšić. Beška Monastery and the monastery Starčevo, were known for intense scribal activity. There was created Gorički collection, religious and instructive manuscript, which the compiler is Nikon Jerusalimac.








MONASTERY PRECISTA KRAJINSKA


One of most important monuments in Montenegro.
The remains of the monastery with a church dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin, are in the vicinity of Ostros, on the shores of Lake Skadar. The church is first mentioned in the late tenth century, in the Chronicle of the Priest Dukljanin. The monastery was founded by Prince Vladimir, who is related with a legend about the tragic love between him and the beautiful Kosara, daughter of Macedonian king Samuilo. Monastery was the headquarters of the Metropolitan of Zeta for a while, and in the late sixteenth century itwas destroyed. In the vicinity of the site Ostros is a well of living water, which dates from 1001. and which still supplies the population of surrounding villages with drinking water.

 

MONASTERY  GORNJI BRCELI

It is located in the same village, by whom it is named. It was founded in the early eighteenth century by Bishop Danilo, as his winter residence. Within the monastery is a church dedicated to the Virgin Mary and her iconostasis, the work of Peter Čolanović from 1928. Church and monastery buildings are surrounded by high stone wall with the main gate on the south side. On the wall, by the gate, on its eastern side, was erected one piece bell tower. The building of the old dormitory, was formed as a typical house with characteristic of Crmnica volts and a terrace. At the monastery in 1863. was founded the school, which later moved to a nearby monastery Donji Brčeli.
 

MONASTERY DONJI BRCELI

It is located in the same village with a church dedicated to St. Nichola. The monastery was built in the fifteenth century. Below the floor of the temple were built arched rooms which can be entered through an opening formed in the floor of the sanctuary. It is believed that the premises at the time of Šćepan Mali, served as a prison. Later in this church was killed and buried Šćepan Mali. In this monastery was a school that was moved from the monastery Gornji Brčeli.
 
 
BAR TREFOIL

The raising of the church building refers to the period of Justinian epoch (VI century). The preserved walls of the building reach up to 1 m. While researching the church, there were found fragments of decorative stone sculptures and cemeteries.
 

CHURCH OF ST. TEKLA

It is built of rubble in the thirteenth century. Originally it was Orthodox, and later got Catholic altar. The church today has two altars, and it is visited by members of both faiths and members of both faiths are buried there.
 

CHURCH OF ST. DEADLINE - Spič

Shrine of St. Roka are near Sutomore. Dating from the fourteenth century. Although there was only one altar, the church served for the Orthodox and Catholics. Today it is in ruins.


CHURCH OF ST. ATANASIJA - Sotonići

It dates from the end of XIV c. Around the church there are several graves with stone slabs.
 

CHURCH OF ST. PETKA - Šušanj

It was built during the Middle Ages. It is built of rough-cut stone.
 

CHURCH OF ST. NICHOLAS

Archdiocese of Bar is located in it, which was established in 1089, confirmed by Pope Clement III, by sending Palija (cloak) to Archbishop of Duklja and subjugate him three bishoprics (Bar, Kotor, Ulcinj, Svač, Skadar, Drivostu, Pilot), then the state of Serbia, Bosnia and Travunija. Bar has the title of Archbishop of Serbian Primas.
 
 
MOSQUE OF OMERBAŠIĆ

It is located in Old Bar. It was built in the late seventeenth century. Simply constructed, rectangular, with a minaret added to the southwest wall.

Besides the mosque to the entrance of complex in the seventeenth-century was built Dervish Hasan's tomb. With him was added a small single-storied building, which served as a residential building. Near the entrance was built a public fountain, and later a mosque houses intended for stay of mullah or imam. The whole area is surrounded by a stone wall.
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Montenegro Tourist Service
Podgorica
Mob: 00382 69 66 55 12,
Tel/Fax: 00382 20 511 200
info@booking.me
GUEST GUIDE
payment methods
- bank transfer
- credit card
AmericanexpressDinersMastercardVisa