Login

Ljuta


Settlement Ljuta is located at the heart of the Bay of Kotor, on the north side of Kotor. In the central part of Ljuta, about 7 km away from Kotor, there is a baroque church dedicated to St. Petar. It was built on a raised and enclosed stone plateau near the sea. It is built of beautifully carved stone blocks which locals-seamen brought from Korcula. The construction works took several decades and was finally finished in 1780. That date and a mention of the patron is carved on the west facade. The interior consist of a spacious nave which is covered with a ceiling, somewhat narrower altar space that is square in plan and vaulted over the ribs on the corner pilasters.

The spatial distribution of this church remind of Our Lady of the Rocks (Gospa od Škrpjela), which is obviously a model for builders. In the church there are three marble altars. On the central altar is the altarpiece on which is shown St. Petar, the patron of the church, with the angels.

On the south altar is dedicated to St. Luka, endowment of captain Luka Radimir, is presented a group of saints. Both paintings are made by the same artist, the Venetian painter Fonte Basa.

The north altar is a silver-bound Virgin and Christ, Hodegetria type, which is especially appreciated by the locals because of the vow given during the 1855 cholera epidemic. The altar was an endowment of sailors Dabinović, and work of little-known Venetian master Mikele Đirardi.



Orahovac

This village is located on the north of Kotor, river Ljuta separates is from Dobrota. This is a traditional maritime and fishing village. In the past, this village was the birth place of many famous captains and it had a fleet of 28 ships.

Above the village stands the Church of St. Đorđe with the remnants of an earlier church by which was later built another one with frescoes from the XV and XVI century. The iconostasis is the work of Špiro Đuranovic.



Drazin vrt


Its a small village that gave many famous sailors. Drazin vrt is a village of fifteen houses, which are situated on the route to Perast.  So rare are the families with so many famous captains as the family Vukasovic. Among the famous captains of this family, excellent navigators, soldiers, and writers, Miloš Vukasović stands out, naval architect whose name is associated with the construction of the most beautiful ships in Argentina in the period 1870-1908.







Perast


Situated opposite the gorge Verige, located at the foot of hill Kason. The remains found in a cave near Perast - Spila, talk about early human presence on this territory. The city is named after the Illyrian tribe Pirusta and had a turbulent history.

This small baroque town was in the 17th and 18 century at its peak. At that time, Perast had 100 of its own merchant ships. Perast is lived by the shipping, and his sailors were known for the skill and courage.

In front of Perast are two islands - the island of St. Đorđe, which is natural island and the Lady of the Rock Island (Gospa od Škrpjela), which is artificial.

On the island of Sv. Đorđe is the church from the 17th century and the old cemetery of seamen from Perast.

Our Lady of the Rock Island was artificially built by piling stones over a cliff. Later, in 1630. there had been erected the church which contains a large collection of silver coins with reliefs showing the development of shipping in the Bay. The church interior is decorated with 68 paintings by the Baroque masters Kokolja Tripo, who was born in Perast. On the right altar is a painting of St. Roko, the work of Italian painter Tiepolo. In the edifice house is a small museum that preserves a rich collection of paintings.

In Perast are also several beautiful palaces that belonged to ancient marine families as well as numerous churches.

- Visković Palace, erected in the 18th century
- Zmajevića Palace, the 17th century, built in Renaissance style
- Smekja, erected in the 18th century
- Bujovic Palace, the most beautiful example of Renaissance - Baroque architecture in the Bay which was founded in the 17th century. Today it is the city museum which has a rich collection of documents, images and objects related to the maritime history of this city.
- Balović Palace, erected in the 18th century
- Church of St. Nikola, is on the square in the center of Perast. It was built in the 17th century and it keeps a picture "Miracles Anthony of Padua," Trip Kokolja's work.
- Church of St. Ana, is located on a hill above Perast
- Church of St. Antun, the monastery was built in the 17th century
- Church of St. Ivan the Baptist, built in the 16th century.

In Perast there are several churches that are not in operation.




Risan


Risan is
the oldest settlement in the Bay. It was mentioned already in the 3rd century BC as an Illyrian fortress. According to tradition, in Risan, under the onslaught of the Romans, took refuge Illyrian queen Teuta. In Francophiles are mosaics from the Roman period dating from the end of second and the 3rd century AD. In the middle of the mosaic is the display of God of sleep Hypnos, the only figures of this god on the east coast.

Risan is one of the largest archaeological sites in our country, especially the part opposite the hotel Teuta, called Carine. There were found the remains of Cyclopean walls and remains of houses and streets.

In Risan is the church of Sv. Petar and Pavle, from the 18th century. Near Risan is also located the monastery Banja, built in the early 18th century, with a rich collection of icons of Risan's iconographic school Dimitrijevic - Rafailović.

Not far from Risan is a place Lipci, famous for its prehistoric drawings painted on the rock, where are, arranged in line, a number of deers in the fly, moving from left to right. Deers are arranged in two rows and next to them was a couple of painted geometric motifs. All the performances are created by pasting the clay on the surface of rocks. These drawings date from the Iron Age, around 800 BC.




Morinj


On the road, 8 km from Risan, is Morinj, which developed into the largest fishing village on the west coast of Boka Kotorska. This is an old maritime town whose residents took part in many battles at sea and maritime exploits that opened new trading routes, but also made possible to open the school in national language, such as the school that was founded in 1803. In 1843 in Morinj opens the library. At this point, with their abilities and accomplishments in naval battles, the family Milinovic stands out, and Captain Tomo Djurov Milinović (1770-1846) also as a founder of cannon and the duke in the rebellion of the Serbian Karađorđe.

What makes it even more distinctive in tourism is the event known as "Morinjska svadba"(Morinj's wedding).



Kostanjica

It is ocated in a green oasis of chestnut  after which it was named. It is a village of fishermen and sailors, with well-preserved traditional physiognomy of this area. Kostanjica features a wealth of bay leaf, which its residents diligently collect and produce from it the essential oils, mostly for foreign markets, which certainly contributes to the further promotion of this place in the world.

Kostanjica is situated on the eastern, northern and western side of Boka Kotorska.





Stoliv


Dual settlement situated on the northeastern side of Vrmac, opposite to Perast. The upper village is located in a chestnut forest at 240 m above sea level. This village has preserved its original rural physiognomy. Today there are about 15 residents, because many them moved to the Lower Stoliv in the XVII and XVIII century. In the center of town is the church of St. Ilija. In the 1721 lower Stoliv was given the rank of maritime town. Thanks to a pleasant climate here grow many kinds of fruit and flowers, especially the camellia by whom Stoliv is famous. In this part of village is the church of St. Marija with some pictures of the Slovenian painter Josip Tominc.





Prčanj


 
Settlement on the east side of Vrmac versus Dobrota. Its present appearance is obtained during the XVI, XVII and XVIII century. One of the oldest monuments include the church of St. Tome, in the upper part of the settlement, from the ninth century, now in ruins and the church of St. Ivan from the 1221. A special attraction is the palace of the "Tre sorelle" (three sisters), a unique building from the XV century. It was owned by noble family Buca. To this mansion is connected a legend about the tragic love of three sisters in love with the same sailor.

Prčanj in the eighteenth century, reached the highest point of power due to shipping. In the seventeenth century it gets a maritime status with the benefits that this title brings.

A naval captain, originally from Perast, is the first of the territory who with his ship "Splendido" sailed around the world.

Most attractive monument is the parish church which dimensions make it one of the largest objects on the Adriatic coast. It construction began in 1789, at the time of the settlement of maritime prosperity, and was completed in 1908. The church is dedicated to the Virgin's birth and was done in the Renaissance-Baroque style. Church keeps the works of local artists such as Tom Rosandić, Milunović Milo et al.

In settlement Prčanj is also a special hospital "Vrmac", specializing in the treatment of asthma, bronchitis and allergies.




Muo



Old fishing village on the southeast side of Vrmac, opposite the southern part of Kotor and Dobrota.

Unlike other settlements which are mainly associated with the development of marine sciences, the inhabitants of this village were engaged in fishing which didn't privide enough not even for a normal life and in particular for the construction of religious buildings.








Bigova



Bigova Bay belongs to the locality of Donji Grbalj and it is on the way between Budva and Tivat. It is deeply drawn into the land and for such a position it used to be a fishing port that provided shelter for fishermen during a storm. Today it is inhabited fishing village - port, known for its medicinal mud (paleoidi), found at the very end of the bay Bigovo valley, a rocky beach, fine fish and other events.









Zeta

In Grbalj there are a number of churches and a monastery. Podlastva Monastery, in Lastva Grbaljska is not only a religious but also a historical monument of Grblalj, because in front of it were brought many important decisions. The monastery church, destroyed by earthquake in 1979., was painted with frescoes by local painters. Among the highlights are local painter Maksim Tujkovic from Grbalj, and a large number of rural churches in Grbalj were painted by the artist from Risan Dimitrije Daskal - Dimitrijevic.

In Grbalj there are about 60 rural churches, many of which have been destroyed in the past, especially during the 1979 earthquake. Many of them were decorated with frescoes and iconostasis from the 17th and 18 century.
CUSTOMER SERVICE
Montenegro Tourist Service
Podgorica
Mob: 00382 69 66 55 12,
Tel/Fax: 00382 20 511 200
info@booking.me
GUEST GUIDE
payment methods
- bank transfer
- credit card
AmericanexpressDinersMastercardVisa