Login




Tivat is the newest and smallest municipality in the Bay of Kotor.
As an urban complex its significant growth and development began at the end of the nineteenth century. It covers about 46 km2 and includes many coastal villages in the vicinity, and there are approximately 13,000 residents. The size and age of this beautiful town of Boka certainly do not diminish its importance. On the territory of Tivat is the main airport in Montenegro. A place where every year tens of thousands of tourists from all around the world has its first encounter with Montenegro. In Tivat there are several good hotels and places for entertainment, many restaurants and bars, be sure to visit the summer house Buca and drink coffee on the waterfront of Tivat, and only then start exploring the surrounding areas that offer a lot. From mountain hikes through rural tourism visits to the islands and the entire marine experience. Tivat has a very good position, close to the airport, the border with Croatia and Bosnia as well as other cities in the region of Kotor, Herceg Novi, Budva. With the ancient city of Kotor Tivat is connected by a tunnel underneath Vrmac Hill, and those who like to enjoy the beauty of old stone houses and the landscape of the Bay of Tivat to Kotor can follow an old road through Lepetane, Stoliv, Prcanj, Muo. If you decide for the coastal atmosphere, right in the vicinity of Tivat are Krasići, Radovici, Plavi Horizonti, and many other beaches that will leave you breathless, and from Radovići or Krašić you can continue through the olive groves in Lustica. In the vicinity of Tivat there are several beautiful islands: Ostrvo cvijeća (Island of Flowers), St. Marko and Gospa od Milosrđa (Our Lady of Mercy).


 
HISTORY
 
There are three different opinions for the theory about origin of the name Tivat. According the first, the name Tivat is derived from the name of the Illyrian Queen Teuta, who at one time had her capital in Risan, perhaps the summer houses near the present site of Tivat. According to another opinion, the name could be derived from the names of Christian saints, such as sanctus Theodorus, Theodosius, Theodotus, Theodulus or medieval (XII c.) Theudo, Theodore. The third opinion is set out very briefly and without much explanation. According to this opinion, the name comes from the Celtic word "touto" meaning city.
 
In the history of Boka Kotorska clearly distinguish the following periods: Illyrian, Roman, Byzantine, Serbian, Turkish and Venetian-Austrian. Bay of Tivat coast has gone through all these periods and the evidences are many archaeological findings and the existing monuments of ancient architecture and written historical sources.
 
For the Illyrian period which ended in 168-7. BC with the collapse of Illyrian state we have a small number of archaeological finds. The Roman period is much richer. According to some older literature, in the area Boboviste (Kalardovo today) there was an ancient city. It was thought to be also the site of the old Akruvijum (Acruvium). Such opinions still exist, but are not always linked to Bobovište but also for other sites in the near or distant vicinity of Tivat.
 
The period of Serbian rule begins at the end of 1185 in Kotor. From then until 1370, Kotor and its District are located within the Serbian medieval state of Nemanjići. In the XIII c. in Prevlaka near Tivat, Sv. Sava, when he joined the founding of the Serbian church, appointed chair of Zeta bishops and the remains of the Benedictine monastery built a monastery dedicated to St.. Archangel Michael.
 
In 1420 The Venetian Republic took Kotor distriht and peninsula Luštica along with Prevlaka. The period from the arrival of the Venetians until the end of XVIII c. is characterized by frequent conflicts between them and the Turks. Very important turning point in the history of Boka Kotorska was the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797. Then began a long period of nearly twenty years in which were a lot of rule changes in the Bay until finally in 1814 came Austria and stayed there until its collapse in 1918.
 
Tivat began to develop as a town at the end of XIX c. when he established military seaport Arsenal. Until the construction of Arsenal in Tivat land holdings were mostly in the hands of the feudal aristocracy from Prcanj, Perast, Kotor and Dobrota.
 
Today the modern city of Tivat is oriented to development of tourism as a prior activity.
 

CULTURAL INSTITUTIONS
JU "Cultural Centre" Tivat
Ul.Nikole Djurković bb
 
Headquarters - 032 674 587
Management - 032 674 590
Library - 032 674 588
Gallery 032/674-591

E-mail: czk-tivat@t-com.me
 
www.czktivat.me
 

 
CULTURAL AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS
 

ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES


Mala gruda


This is the most important and most representative of the tumulus (crowd) that were discovered in the area of ​​Tivat. Dated in the early Bronze Age, the period of 1900 - 1800 before our era. In this tomb were found many valuable items: a golden dagger, a silver ax, gold pendants for the royal diadem, and more.

Coating of St. Arhanđel Mihailo (Island of Flowers)

Found in the mosaics from the ancient period. Excavations are still ongoing, and also he excavations of complex of the Monastery St. Archangel Michael from the Middle Ages.
 


MONASTERIES - CHURCHES


The complex of St. Arhanđel Mihailo

On peninsula Prevlaka are the remains of St. Arhanđel Mihailo who marked one of the most important epochs in the life of this area - a period of IX - XIV century. At this point there was probably originally Benedictine monastery, and from half XIII c. Saint Sava has appointed on Prevlaka the chair of Zeta  bishop. Venetians destroyed the monastery in 1452. There are still remains of the monastery, which was 21 m long and 12.5 m wide. Near the church to the east side, in the XIX c., was built the church of St. Trojica by the Countess Ekatarina Vlasteleinovic.

 
The island of Gospa od Milosti (Our Lady of Mercy)

It is located between the coast of Krtoli and the island St. Marko. Diameter of the island is barely 200 m of which one half occupies complex of the monastery dedicated to the Virgin Mary - Our Lady of Mercy. It is not known when  was built the earliest sacred building the island. By the end of XIX c. the island becomes the residence of bishop of Kotor. Today the monastery is in possession of Jesuit order. The monastery church was restored by bishop of Kotor, Frano Ucelini - Tice. From a moving memorial fund is worth a wooden statue of the Virgin - Blessed Lady of Mercy, which is celebrated as a miracle.

 
Church of St. Luka

It was built on the flat plateau of the hill that rises on the edge of the village Gosici. It is assumed that this is a hill on which stood the Illyrian hill. In written sources is mentioned the existence of a Benedictine abbey, about in the middle of XIV c. It is certain that on the site of today's church was an older building that was from 1776. revised and expanded. By the middle of XIX c. it was decorated with frescoes. Among the moving fund is a felon richly decorated with golden embroidery, a gift from Peter I Petrovic.

 
Church of St. Gospođe (Ladies)

It is located in the center of village Radovići in Krtole and it was built in 1843, although the literature mentions the 1594 and 1605. Perhaps it is an older church  that was there before. The church has a bell tower in front, and at its center a large clock.

 
Church of St. Jovan and church of Sv. Ivan in Bogisic

In the church of Sv. Ivan that is older, have served the Orthodox and Catholic priests. In it were discovered the remains of medieval frescoes. Fences of church Sv. Ivan and St. Jovan are touching.

 
Church of St. Petar

It is situated on a hill Gradac in village Bogdasici about 4 km from Tivat. It is believed that this was originally Benedictine abbey. An inscription written in Old Slavonic language, is talking about raising the temple at the time of the Zeta Neophyte bishop from 1268 to 1269.
Although highly damaged frescoes are among the better paintings of XIII century.
The vault is the composition of  Descent of the Holy Spirit on apostles.

 
Church of St. Srđa, Nikola and Dimitrije

It is located within the group of ten houses on the hill Đurđevo above Tivat. Church of St. Srdđa was built in the first half of the ninth century. Churches of St. Srđa, Nikola and Dimitrije represents a significant cultural - historical monuments, and together with the settlement in the vicinity maks a valuable urban whole.



Church of St.
Antun

It is located in Kalimanj in the mansion of Pima Pasquali family. One of the smallest by size, but not by its significance. On the port of the tower can be seen the label from 1373. which mentions King Tvrtko I. The church's interior was covered with frescoes, which were greatly damaged by moisture. On the walls on left and right sides were painted in three rows 14 blazons of old Kotor noble families.

Church of St. Antun of Padova

It was built in 1734. Together with the parish office and front paved courtyard makes the whole which is a kind of social center of Tripovici. From the high place where it is located, is a unique view of the entire western part of the bay. In the church is preserved the image of St. Petar and St. Pavle, by the Italian painter Francesco. Additional altar was erected in honor of Our Lady of the Rosary.


Church of St. Mihovil

It is located in Tivat, next to the castle and tower Buca. The church is located in the axis of the former access of the monumental castle, which had 130 stone pillars.

 
Church of St. Marija

It is located in Upper Lastva. It was built in the fifteenth century. It's position dominates over the bay, where Lastva is also situated.

 
Church of St. Vida

It is located above Upper Lastva on a hill Sveti Vid at elevation 440, which represents the most prominent point of Vrmac. The church is mentioned in 1327.
, but according to its position and method of construction can be concluded that it was built earlier, possibly in the Byzantine era.
 

Church of Gospa od Andjela (Our Lady of the Angels)


It is situated on a rocky promontory of the sea cliff Verige. It is mentioned in 1585t, but probably was there before that time. Around the church is built a defensive wall with loophole. Once served as a fortress and watchtower to control passage through Verige. Among people the churc is recognized as Our Lady of Oriza (Italian sorrizo - smile), which appeared on the faces of the sailors arriving on their territory.



Church of St.
Roka

It is located in Lower Lastva on the coast. It was built in 1901. together with the tower. In the church is interesting icon representing St. Tripun, the work of famous Greek iconographer Elias Moskos. The church is the altarpiece of St. Roka, the work of Michael Florio from Prcanj.

Church of St. Sava

Located in the center of the city. Počela to be built in 1938 and 1968 the building was completed.




SUMMER RESIDENCES

 
Estates of Kotor's noble in the area from Lower Lastva to Gradiosnica existed at the time of Prevlaka monastery. Later in the eighteenth and early nineteenth century, the number of summer houses - according to some sources, were about thirty. In the area of ​​the lower parts of the western slopes of Vrmac colonization took place through a very long period. City Center is located in Kotor and there was no need, nor the conditions for the creation of cities in this region. Villas were temporary places to stay, but also for the collection and processing of crops. At first, those the "village" houses were a stronghold for the control of the defense estate, and to maintain the feudal system. The oldest complexes are organized on the principle of medieval castles with towers, walls and bastions.
 


Medieval Castle of summer house "Buća"

 

Cultural Monument, is a determined type of single villa on our coast. It was founded more than half a millennium ago. Founder Mihailo Buca and his brother Nikola,  made a medieval castle - mansion with the properties needed for rest and defense. It consists of five buildings: houses, economical houses, churches - the chapel dedicated to St. Mihailo, patron of the noble family Buca of Kotor, then a porch - capital input with multi-purpose use. All buildings are enclosed by a stone wall in the tradition of medieval buildings. Today, the monument have been revitalized for a contemporary purpose: it is a gallery of Tivat. Among other summer houses we emphasize House Verona - Andrić in Župa, Pima Complex - Pasquali in Kaliman, House Vizin in Seljanovo, Drago house in Seljanovo, mansion Jakonja and others.

CUSTOMER SERVICE
Montenegro Tourist Service
Podgorica
Mob: 00382 69 66 55 12,
Tel/Fax: 00382 20 511 200
info@booking.me
GUEST GUIDE
payment methods
- bank transfer
- credit card
AmericanexpressDinersMastercardVisa