Municipality Andrijevica is relatively young, since its first beginnings date from mid-nineteenth century. This does not mean that the territory of the municipality was still space for human action and economic space, which evolved or disappeared with invasion of invaders.
Archaeological investigations of the Institute for Protection of Monuments from Cetinje 1956th found traces of material culture from the Neolithic period that exist in the valley of Ivangrad. Besides, there were found traces of Illyrian material culture, so it can be assumed that the environment of Andrijevica was an ecumenical space of all the old people.
There were discovered numerous sites of Roman settlements not only in valley of Ivangrad where there was a Roman city Municipium, but also around Andrijevica. In Roman necropolis were found several monuments. It is particularly well-preserved monument in the village below Zabrdje Žoljevice. Based on this evidence it can be concluded that the area of Andrijevica was socially and economically active from the earliest times.
Southwest of Andrijevica, at a distance of 1 km is the Bozic village and the loftiness of Grace, where existed in the Middle Ages the fortress – as the name of the city suggests. Today is noticeable area where once was a fortress that had a strategic importance at the crossroads of the river Lim and its tributary Zlorecica. These roads are an integral part of the old main road between Raska and Zeta.
A number of medieval monuments: hrisovulje, documents, annals, tipici and records, noted the sizable number of villages that still exists in the hinterland Andrijevica and are ,with no doubt, older than the town itself.
It was noted that this area was densely populated in Nemanjica period, and that the gravitational center was city Budim in Budimljanska Parish 15 kilometers away from Andrijevica and its environment.
According to the Rome Charter of the thirteenth century; Komska parishes and parish near it became property of Rastko Nemanjic and descendants of Miroslav Nemanjic and so his son Andrija, Duke of Zahumlje erected in his honor the church Medjurecje, (the present old Andrijevica). Andrijevna Church had carved a workshop of carved characters but with arrival of the Turks it was repeatedly burned, demolished and rebuilt until the ultimate destruction in 1765th with arrival of Kariman – who fits burned all the villages in the parish Komska.
In the later period (1853), the old warrior tribe Vasojevići has often raised revolts against Turkish rule, and began to develop a village around the church Andrijevne by which it was named this small town. In the 1858th Duke of Vasojevići tribe – Miljan Vukov declared Vasojeviće an integral part of Montenegro.
From 1878. year, Andrijevica becomes political center for the northern Montenegro.
In Andrijevica also came Serbian immigrants to consultation and to receive arms. This has contributed to the development of the town area and in 1882nd there were already 20 houses. At this time it is being developed in several directions. Besides the military functions it acquires administrative-management, trading, and the opening of school and educational culture.
Until 1912. years, Andrijevica, by spreading along the main road to Polimski glacial fluvial terrace above Lim, received the physiognomy of the town. The development of the town area was terminated during the Balkan and First World War, and only after the liberation of Austria-Hungary formed its considerable flourish. Immediately after World War Andrijevica district was the first place with four districts: Andrijevački, Kraljski, Ljevorečki and Plav – Gusinjski.
With abolition of the district in 1921. Andrijevica becomes a main place for all of these districts. And after World War II in Andrijevica was the seat of the district until 1951. year, capturing a large catchment area: River Left, Mateševo, Bare Kraljske, Plav – Gusinje Basin, Trebačka-Šekularska municipality and of course the current municipalities. In time between two world wars it experienced the most prominent development. There are major, administrative, administrative, economic, cultural and educational center in north-eastern Montenegro.
With The Act on the basis of social and political organization of the People’s Republic of Montenegro on 22 July 1957th year, districts were abolished and ceased to exist 1 January 1958. year.
Since then Andrijevica has been a municipality until a new law on the division of the People’s Republic of Montenegro to the municipalities. With The Act of 15th April 1960th year, it lost the status of the municipality, its territory was divided and assigned to neighboring communes, and all administrative and managerial functions, economic, educational, cultural actors plugged in Berane municipality.
Exactly 30 years after the abolition of the Municipal Assembly of the Republic of Montenegro again is adopting amendments to the Law on Territorial Division of Montenegro returned to the municipal status of the municipality and the environment. In 1991. years. Municipal Assembly and its executive organs of local government were re-formed.