Dokleats also inhabited the valley of Zeta River, and thanks to the fertile plain and favorable geographical position and traffic, experienced fast economic growth. Their biggest settlement was Doclea. The city was situated about three kilometers northwest of today’s Podgorica. Urban, Duklja was adapted to the terrain. It was a big city for that time, with 8-10 thousand inhabitants, in which were resolved all core urban issues. Relatively high population density in an area with a little more than ten kilometers in diameter, was conditioned by geographical location, favorable climate and economic conditions and defensive positions, which was very important at the time.
Podgorica is one of the oldest settlements in this part of the Balkans. Great natural wealth, a very good geographical position, and fertile land, led to the emergence and development of settlements in the early period of prehistoric times. During its long history it has endured and survived big events and earthquakes. Several times the city name was changed: from Birziminijum and Alate in period of slavery, through before feudal times – Ribnica and feudal, Turkish and our time – Podgorica, until 1946 when it took the name of Josip Broz – Tito, former president of Yugoslavia and revolcuionary and named Titograd. In 1992 Titograd was returned to the name of Podgorica, which still bears.
Podgorica is the headquarters of the Writers Association of Montenegro, visual, dramatic artists, musicians, journalists and all those who by their actions are involved in Montenegrin cultural life. The establishment of cultural – artistic associations and the Art Pavilion was the basis for the development of culture on a broad scale. The establishment of the modern galleries Podgorica became the art center of Montenegro. Montenegrin National Theatre was founded in 1953 and nurtured Montenegrin drama and influenced the development of culture, in the country and on the development of international cultural cooperation and promotion of Montenegro in the international field.
Cultural and informational center Budo Tomovic, founded in 1956, continued operations of the so-called Youth Centre, which continues the tradition of the successful Youth Centre. Folklore ensembles and drama troupes form are the basis of cultural activities of the institution.
The National Theatre founded in 1953. in Titograd of that time, is the holder of a theater production in Montenegro. Fostering Montenegrin dramatic literature and international cultural cooperation today is a determinant of the National Theatre located in the center in a building of extraordinary beauty, which was built after the devastating fire that took the old building. In the city also operates the City Theatre, and one of the most important events in the sphere of cultural theatre is the International Festival of Alternative Theatre (FIAT), which brings together theater troupes from all around the world.
Podgorica is also a city of galleries. In addition to already mentioned Art Pavilion, the ones that stand out in this field are those in Krusevac – Castle Petrovic, with which there is a Perjanički home. In these galleries nowadays are continuous cultural events of all kinds, from music nights of chamber orchestra, through the promotion of books, to solo and group exhibitions of painters not only local but also of regional importance. Galleries “Most” and “Centar” often open its doors to sculptors and exhibitions, usually newspaper photographs, which enhance the offer of the city in cultural terms. Center of Contemporary Art of Montenegro with the aspiration to become the leading institution in the organization, mostly of visual event, organize Montenegrin traditional triennial youth event aimed to promote artists who have less than 30 years, such as Irena Lagator, Nichola Simanić and others. A number of smaller private galleries supplement the offer of images ton this rich and prestigious market.
Montenegrin Academy of Sciences and Arts (CANU) founded in 1973. with wards of natural and social sciences, and art, is an institutions that operates within the most eminent scholars and art-makers from universities, research institutes and art associations. A rich library of the Academy and the regular exchange of publications with almost 200 other scientific libraries in the country and abroad, is a real wealth, and Academy itself is indispensable institution in the great state of intellectual endeavors, which was for example, marking of 500 years of printing Oktoih.
Church of St. George
Church of St. George is located at the base picnic Gorica, has its early Christian history. It was built in the Middle Ages, and suffered many reconstructions. Unknown medieval builder used a few old christian fragments.
Episcopal Church in Doljani
It is 3 km northeast of the site Duklja. Discovered remains of two early Christian buildings in the south-shaped trefoil and northern basilica, both from middle VI century. In period 1980-1982 works were carried out works of re-conservation.
Monastery Celija Piperska
It is the Foundation of St. Stefan Piperskog and it represents a temple of the Nativity of Bogorodica. Monastery dates from 1637, it was renewed in 1994. In the monastery are preserved the relics of its founder and the Saint.
It was founded in 1897 and it is located near Podgorica. It is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin, and as a space for the church is used the natural form of the cave. The interior of the monastery was painted by its patron monk Simeon Popovic, adapting the scene to the natural form of the rocks. On these arrangement he worked until his death in 1941.
Located on the site Crkvine, in Podgorica suburb Doljani, on the left bank of the River Moraca. It dates from the 5th or 6. century, but with the invasion of Avars and Slavs in 7. century it was devastated. It was first mentioned in the list of Skadar Sandzak in 1485.
Although until recently was more transit and less tourist center, Podgorica today, as one of the European capitals is becoming a subject of interest for the tourist population. Good infrastructure links from one side to the shore, and the northern part of Montenegro, Podgorica is placed on a list of montenegrin cities which more and more tourists deside to visit, who traditionally prefer the warm beaches and snowy peaks. By car you need just 40 minutesto get to thesea if you decide for the southern part of the coast, especially for Sutomore and Bar. Quick trip through Zeta valley and new magnificent tunnel Sozina, which is 5 km long now brings Podgorica closer to the term of coastal city. Prat of that rad at one point separates the Montenegrin hinterland and in just 20 minutes longer trip you will get a little bit more north. An interesting and picturesque area of Cetinje municipality, which passes through the second main road towards the sea, you can be drawn to choose the way to Kotor, which is two hours from the capital if you fallow the old road. To this bay you can also come, if you deviate from Cetinje to Budva, and then on fast highway, with a charming picture of the coast back to the north. If it is known that the Podgorica is only twenty minutes from the National Park Skadar Lake, which spreads over 400 km2, then the city of Podgorica receives on its attractiveness even more.